Post-Doc in Phylogenomics
Disentangling the Phylogeny and Evolution of the Willow Family
We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher (max. seven years after obtaining a PhD degree) experienced in bioinformatics and phylogenomics to join our projects exploring plant-herbivore interactions and the evolution of host-plant defences in the willow family (Salicaceae). Using a series of complementary approaches, we aim to show how plant chemical diversity arises through biotic and abiotic pressures. Our studies combine field components, manipulative green-house experiments with metabolomics and phylogenomics. You will use a pipeline that our group developed to infer the phylogeny of several temperate and tropical Salicaceae genera using WGS data. We would like you to have an excellent background in bioinformatics and programming.
You will join the Laboratory of Evolutionary Ecology led by Dr Martin Volf at the Institute of Entomology, Biology Center of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Ceske Budejovice (Czech Republic). The project offers an opportunity to conduct laboratory work in the Czech Republic and abroad within a collaborative network of our colleagues from Europe and overseas. The Department of Ecology, where our laboratory is based, is a diverse, international team (11 nationalities) studying ecology, evolution and biogeography, and a world-class centre for interaction network research with regular publications in leading journals. The Laboratory of Evolutionary Ecology is a new perspective team successful in fundraising and with a good publication record.
• Have you obtained a PhD degree?
• Do you have advanced skills in bioinformatics (polyploid and diploid genome assembly, RAD-locus contig assembly), phylogenomics, and programming (R, Python, bash)?
• Are you deeply interested in the ecology of insects or plants?
• Are you fluent in spoken and written English?
• Can you work independently?
• Do you have international experience (at least two years spent outside the Czech Republic within the last three years)?
Great, we are looking for you!
• 1 extra week of holiday, i.e. 5 weeks of paid holiday per year in total
• Subsidized lunches in our canteen
• Benefits from Social fund
• Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
• Friendly international working environment
• Support of leisure time activities
• Free language classes – Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs (the capacity is limited)
• Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
• Concessionary mobile tariff at the contractual operator
• Concessionary banking services at the contractual bank
PLACE AND BACKGROUND
History wherever you turn and excellent beer. That is České Budějovice (2 hours away from Prague). A city with over 750 years of tradition, the breathtaking countryside around, and a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS and the University of South Bohemia. Check out our Guide for Expats to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic. Czech and English are being used on equal rights as working languages of ISB, so applicants from abroad are most welcome.
The Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences holds the HR Excellence in Research Award. Our selection process is transparent, open, non-discriminating, and fair. For more information about the researchers’ recruitment policy at our institution, see OTM-R.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Send us the following documents via email (email@example.com) by 31 December 2021.
• CV including your publication record, contact details for three references,
• Copy of your PhD diploma
• cover letter stating qualifications, previous work and motivation
Workplace: Institute of Entomology
Employment relationship: Employment contract
Job type: Researcher
Job status: Full-time
Job starting date: 1. 3. 2022
Application deadline: 31. 12. 2021
If you have any queries, you may contact Dr Martin Volf via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more details see: https://jobs.bc.cas.cz/en/detail/87
Laboratory of Evolutionary Ecology- https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/departments/department-of-ecology-and-conservation-biology/laboratory-of-evolutionary-ecology/
Institute of Entomology – https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/homepage/
Guide for Expats – https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/#anchor
OTM-R – https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/candidates/otm-r/