The French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment (INRAE) is a public research establishment. It is a community of 12,000 people with more than 200 research units and 42 experimental units located throughout France. The institute is among the world leaders in agricultural and food sciences, in plant and animal sciences, and is 11th in the world in ecology and environment. INRAE’s main goal is to be a key player in the transitions necessary to address major global challenges. In the face of the increase in population, climate change, scarcity of resources and decline in biodiversity, the institute develops solutions for multiperformance agriculture, high quality food and sustainable management of resources and ecosystems.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND ACTIVITIES
You will be welcomed in the HYCAR research unit (Hydrosystems under changes: Resources, Risks, Restoration), which brings together, on the Antony site (92, France), about forty scientists, including 20 permanent staff. The unit is composed of three teams working respectively on ecological engineering (ARTEMHYS), river hydroecology (HEF) and watershed hydrology (HYDRO). You will be positioned at the heart of a very dynamic unit in the fields of modelling and observation, HYCAR being internationally recognised in particular for its hydrological and ecological models and databases.
You will be attached to the HEF team and will collaborate with the partners of the COSAR project (AO Biodiversa 2021/BiodivRestore) « Context-dependence of the societal and ecological outcomes from river ecosystem restoration » which constitutes the framework of this recruitment. The COSAR project aims to analyse the influence of spatial and historical context (including landscape, hydroclimatic, environmental and socio-economic) on the ecological and societal outcomes (positive/negative/neutral) of river restoration projects in Europe. This project starts in April 2022 and will last for 3 years.
You will be in charge of:
– Handling and organising the biological and environmental monitoring datasets collected on nearly 200 restoration sites across Europe
– Defining relevant metrics to assess the ecological effects of restoration operations
– Extracting different data to characterise the spatial and historical context of restoration operations
– Analysing the relationships between the characteristics of the spatiotemporal context of restored sites and the taxonomic and functional responses of aquatic biodiversity
– Producing a synthetic analysis of different datasets to quantify the context-dependence of ecological effects of restoration operations
– Publishing the results and contribute to the deliverables of the COSAR project.
You will be supervised by Evelyne Tales and Aliénor Jeliazkov and you will work in close collaboration with several team members involved in this project as well as with the European partners (C. Weber, EAWAG, Switzerland; P. Verdonschot, Wageningen, Netherlands; S. Stoll, UCB, Germany; J. Piffady, INRAE Riverly, France).
Special conditions of activity:
– Working place at Antony (Ile-de-France region, sector 92, France); Easy access by public transport (RER B and C), at one hour from amazing Paris.
– Mainly computer work
– Professional travel in France and Europe for meetings and workshops.
TRAINING AND SKILLS REQUIRED
Recommended training: PhD in ecology or data science applied to ecology
Expected experience / knowledge: Ecology in continental aquatic environments; Data analysis and modelling in R; GIS skills
Appreciated experience / potential assets: Restoration ecology; Inter- and/or transdisciplinary work
Sought skills: Teamwork; Oral communication in French
INRAE’S LIFE QUALITY
By joining our teams, you will benefit from (depending on the type of contract):
– until 30 days of annual leave + 15 days « Reduction of Working Time » (for a full time);
– parenting support: CESU childcare, leisure services;
– skills development systems: training, career advise;
– social support: advice and listening, social assistance and loans;
– holiday and leisure services: holiday vouchers, accommodation at preferential rates;
– sports and cultural activities;
– collective catering.
Type of contract : Post Doctoral contract
Contract duration : 24 months (2 years)
Starting date: From the 1st of May 2022, and at latest the 1st of July 2022
Gross salary: Between 2371.13€ and 2919.39€ / month according with experiences
How to apply?
Your application should include:
(2) cover letter showing your interest in the topic and your personal vision of the research to be realised (2 pages max.)
(3) the name and contact details of 2 reference persons
Please send your application by email to:
Alienor Jeliazkov (email@example.com)
Evelyne Tales (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For any question, please feel free to contact us.
Application deadline: 25th of March 2022
The interviews will be held as we go along the recruitment process.